Collective Worship at SS John & Monica's
At SS John and Monica Catholic Primary School, we aim to be a living and loving community which is in inspired by the life of Christ and the teachings of the Church, rooted in Gospel values. Collective Worship in our school is an integral part of our ethos, aims and relationships and is a way of deepening our relationship with God together and individually.
At SS John & Monica Catholic Primary School we have a variety of Collective Worship each week Mass, Whole school Gospel Assembly, Key Stage assemblies class assemblies and class liturgy, as well as daily traditional prayers. All of our opportunities for Collective Worship ensure that children have time to think about their life and the world around them, to pray and to share their feelings and emotions
We aim to:
- To develop an awareness and understanding of the presence of God in each individual child’s life and to encourage a personal response to that presence
- To allow each child to develop their conscience and make sound moral judgements based on commitment to following Christ
- To develop a sense of awe, wonder and inspiration in the person of Christ
- To offer opportunities to deepen their faith and foster attitudes of care and respect for each other
- To live, experience and understand the Liturgical life of the Church through the Liturgical Year together with Solemnities and Feast days
- To promote sacramental life of Christian families and to encourage parents to take an active part in the preparation of their children for the sacraments of Reconciliation, Holy Communion and Confirmation
- To foster school-parish links to ensure that our children remain exposed and committed to the Catholic faith experiencing liturgy and worship beyond and realms of the school curriculum
- To grow in spiritual, moral, cultural and liturgical understanding
- To enable each child to participate and respond to liturgy and worship
- To grow in understanding of our living faith tradition
- To examine and reflect upon our own individual faith journeys
- To develop the skills of prayer
At S.S John and Monica Catholic Primary School, the children are taught traditional Catholic prayers in certain year groups. These prayers can be used at home to support parents in developing their children's knowledge of prayer and to continue to develop their children's understanding of what the words mean to us as Christians today.
Our Parish Church is St John & St Martin’s on George Street in Balsall Heath.
Our Parish Priest is Father Mario. The Assistant Parish Priest is Fr Babu.
Father Mario visits us every week to say Mass and also to help children who are preparing for their Sacraments – Reconciliation, First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
This is the link for St John & St Martin’s Church is: https://www.birminghamdiocese.org.uk/st-john-and-st-martin
Our community in Balsall Heath and Moseley is a great mix of cultures and religions and we respect and value the religious traditions of our whole school community.
If you have any questions about Collective Worship in our school please speak to Mrs Elliott.
Please click on the Power point below to see which prayers are learned in each year band. Take time to talk about the prayers and share them as often as you can.